Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pride vs Ego

What a sick company. While no one has anything to say about my age whenever I get more details in my job scope, it becomes a barrier in my quest for a fair title, salary and bonus.

"Let him take the job? No problem he's up to it! Give him a bonus? He's too young for that kind of money..." And you people are too old!

I finally worked out the sums for my bonus, or rather, my loss of bonus. Managerial-class gets a 50% cut for mid-year bonuses, which has been the practise for many years. Fine, that means I still get nearly a month's bonus. This year they added a second layer of cap. After some mental sums, I realise that I'M the one most affected by this arrangement! A company of 200 or so staff and I'm number 1, that is in terms of bonus cut! HKD9k or so... Goes far in living expenses when I go back to school. Nearly an LV bag for the ladies.

I've decided not to take a single cent even though they are trying to rectify the so called mistake. Oh yeah, and they are sorry that I found out about my bonus cap. And they think I'm not? They come up with millions of excuses to justify their decision for the cut. If you are not wrong, then why will they want to make amends? Its like stabbing someone and saying sorry.

What is pride and what is ego? According to the dictionary, ego can refer to 2 things :
1) An exaggerated sense of self-importance; conceit.
2) Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

I think I am more towards 2). I think my behavior now is appropriate for the type of treatment I am getting. No more no less. Its easy to tell someone to act like a professional. Its never easy when people don't treat you like a professional.

5 comments:

"me-no-mad" said...

ooo... sounds bad. I wont say which excompany but my increment was prorated because i didnt join a full year. I was shocked because while I understand that theory for bonus, it is RIDICULOUS for increment which is suppose to be an indication of one's capability and incentive to work harder for the next year. my poor boss couldnt explain and said it was company policy. FUCK the company policy i said. When I decided to leave, suddenly i was asked to write whatever sum I wanted. Isnt it ironical? Like you said it, they think u can work, you will slave like a dog, but they wont feed you premium food but miserable scraps which U can find anywhere. So I have learnt. Forget about bonus, stiff them with a higher base next time.

WhiteDuskRed said...

Uh... at least you got a pro-rated increment~

If I remember correctly, they told me since I just arrived and they already gave me a good package I should wait for the next increment!

Packing up everything, moving to HK and starting a new job... pretty much no chance for me to relent then. Not now though~

"me-no-mad" said...

the prorated increment was pathetic.Trust me, they might as well save it. My work travel expenses are even higher than my increment!!

"me-no-mad" said...

one of my excolleague was so smart. they wont give her an expat package and so she negotiated her base so much higher and so regardless if there is bonus, benefits or not, she no longer cared.....

WhiteDuskRed said...

I'm taking it as a lesson well learnt. Bonuses can fluctuate. Salary is definite. And thats the story of the corporate world~

Worldwide Visitors