Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thailand - The land of smiles... and then an explosion...

My first visit to Thailand was around 15 years ago. Subsequent trips to Thailand were for business only. I've never been to Chiangmai nor Phuket. Don't think I will ever get the chance to visit those places in the near future...

First impression of Thailand - Traffic jams, dancing traffic conductor, Dream World (should be the name of the amusement park...), four-faced Buddha, World Trade Centre, MBK, street foods, smiles...

Impression of Thailand in recent years - Bombs, separatists, not sure if I'm talking to a man or woman, polite workers, street foods, light rail, less smiles...

Those protestors have really crossed the line between their so-called justice/democracy and plain idiocy. Lives lost, tourism receipts gone and a bad reputation for Thailand. Who dares to invest in Thailand in future? A government with no control of the military... so if anyone is not happy just drive a tank into government house. That's really convenient.

It's really a vicious cycle... Pro-Thaksin group are usually the poor from the northern regions. The academics in Bangkok don't like it so they start a protest. Should one fine day someone they like controls the government, will the rural people start a riot as well? And since the Pro-Thaksin group has a much larger number (going by the landslide victory in the last polls), who will the army side with then? Anyway, no Thailand for me... I'll just stick with Sentosa...

I'm not sure if the job market is that bad but I'm getting more calls from job agencies... or perhaps the job market is THAT bad so they call whatever number they have in their list... Anyway, not interested~ Straight to school once I go back to SG~

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors