Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Food & Places in Singapore

Following up on my last post, here is a short list of the places where I have been on my food safari in Singapore:

* FOOD *
1) House of Seafood 180 - Situated along Yio Chu Kang Road and in Bedok North, one of the best black pepper crab I have ever tasted. Not to forget the chilli crab with the buns... Are you drooling on your keyboard now? Order a plate of butter prawns, sotong-paste youtiaos and belachan kangkong and you get yourself an extra inch. *droolz*

2) Jalan Kayu - What to eat on the 2nd day of lunar new year? Murtabak, satay, teh tarik, mutton soup, mee goreng, soup tulang, indian rojak and many more... but can your tummy take it?

3) Jones the Grocer @ Dempsey Hill - Australian store offering a range of food products. Their food was pretty light, tasty and of the right proportion. Quiet, peaceful and breezy outdoor dining area.

4) Tiong Bahru Market - The new TB market offers a diverse range of local delights. Best food? I can't choose but I had one of the best Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee in years. Fried Kway Teow was good as well. The Chwee Kway we gotten for breakfast the next day was ok.

5) Durian opposite Geylang Lor 13 - I'm not talking about the even-number side of the lorongs with all the red lanterns and chickens. I'm talking about the side nearest to the MRT tracks. Eating durian along the road is one of the highlights of my trip back. We didn't waste time on the cheap stuffs. At S$200/6 durians, I was well durianated for the rest of the year.

6) Chomp Chomp (Serangoon Gardens) - Sting ray, popiah, prawn noodles... and a gigantic mug of sugar cane juice (it was something like 1-litre mugs) which I finished by myself... nearly burst my tummy that night.

7) Long John Silver's - Junk food which I cannot find in HK. Junk food which I love. They used to have 1 outlet on the basement floor of Parkway Parade. My favourite haunt during my secondary school days.

8) River Ang Bao - Tonnes of junk food from kueh tutu and muah chee to malay favourites like otak. Wait... kueh tutu's chinese or malay? Can find durian as well... not to mention a 4-D outlet still open at 10pm...

9) Food courts / Coffee shops - Tampines Mall, Bishan Central, Serangoon Central, Commonwealth, Holland Village, Haig Road, Changi Airport Terminal 3, Hougang Mall, Yio Chu Kang Road, Botanical Gardens

* PLACES *
22 JAN - Airport, Mum's Home, Uncle's Home, Tampines Mall, Airport
23 JAN - Commonwealth, Haircut, Tiong Bahru, Yio Chu Kang Road
24 JAN - Sim Lim Square, Raffles City, Mum's Home
25 JAN - Uncle's Place, Shop A, Shop B, Parkway Parade, Home
26 JAN - Guan Yin Temple, Braddell, Uncle's Place, Uncle's Home
27 JAN - Hougang, Holland Village, Jalan Kayu
28 JAN - Hougang Mall, Geylang
29 JAN - Orchard Road, Dempsey Hill, Botanical Gardens, Raffles City, Funan Centre, Serangoon Gardens
30 JAN - North Bridge Road, Bishan Junction 8
31 JAN - Serangoon Central Basketball Court
01 FEB - Botanical Gardens, Tampines SAFRA bowling, Airport Terminal 3, AMK Hub, Tampines Mall
02 FEB - Toa Payoh Hub, Haig Road, Changi Airport Terminal 3

Mileage? I lost count. Most miles driven on a trip back to Singapore. It's pretty hard to get warmed up when you are driving for like 1-2 days every 6 months. For a 10-day trip back in town I don't mind driving but if its for just 2 nights then I will pass...

Still hopeful about driving about in Okinawa or Hokkaido this year~

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors