Monday, February 23, 2009

Movie Review - Iluminados Por El Fuego

Blessed By Fire is the story of two young men sent to fight the 1982 war in the Falkland Islands (or as they are known in Argentina, the Malvinas) who return home bearing the brutal scars of war. - Wikipedia

Okay, first I got to make a confession. I was checking out another DVD about the battle in the Ardennes but my hand took this from the shelf instead. I only found out that I had taken a Spanish film when I inserted the DVD into my player. But I'm glad that the film was to my taste (compared to another chick flick which I took... won't even bother to review that). Any war film shot with enough heart and with a historical background will appeal to me.

The first war film on my new home theater system, I was looking forward to the sound from artillery explosions right from the start. No boom until 1/3 through the film when an AV-8 Harrier came diving in with guns and rockets. Loved it. Loving my new home theater system. 2/3 into the show the artillery rounds started splashing all over the place, machine guns started spraying all over the shop, and I decided that we had enough shocks and caused enough noise to lower the volume...

Score - 7.5/10
A look at a conflict little known to the rest of the world. The war from the viewpoint of a conscript. Their lives before the war, the way they lived through the fighting and what happened to them after the war. Behind every baddy you see in Platoon or Full Metal Jacket is a family, loved ones and a personal story...

I'm glad I only had to serve 30 months. I'm glad we weren't at war with any people. Life can be shitty at times but nothing that I went through so far can compare to a real war. Sometimes I still dream of my time in the army... usually bad things... but then again there weren't many (any?) good memories for me...

War movies + Home theater = Afternoon screenings at full blast~

2 comments:

littlecartnoodles said...

Was "Saints and Soldiers" the other DVD that you were considering ?

WhiteDuskRed said...

You're spot on! I just got it for HKD55 at HMV. Saw a Band of Brothers Blu-ray set but it was going for HKD700+... but really a collector's item...

Worldwide Visitors