Sunday, March 15, 2009

Why do you study?

So why do we drag ourselves to classes after work? We are making a living and most of the time our paychecks will not increase immediately after we complete our next stage of education, so why do we need to take as many qualifications as possible?

People around me are struggling with their studies. And they study for various reasons. For knowledge, for self-esteem, for pride... End of the day it is all about a bit of insurance. An education will stay with you for life. It will keep you employed. Over-qualification is a problem but if an MBA-holder is willing to take the same pay as a graduate, who will be the first to go?

So why a post about studies at 3am in the morning? For a start, someone has been typing away in the living since 4pm... and I have 2 weeks to inform NTU that I will not be joining them for their MBA programme... Applied for HKUST's MBA programme but don't think I'm going to make the cut...

Not the best Saturday for myself. Woke up to a terrible headache. Slept for another 8 hours in the day and the headache woke up together with me... woke up in time to catch the 4th goal in the 4-1 drubbing of Man United @ Old Trafford. Great result. Too bad too slender a squad for the campaign.

2 comments:

gweipo said...

I would hope at least some people study because they find the topic fascinating and stimulating and challenging. At least that is why I do Mandarin.

WhiteDuskRed said...

People have various reasons for learning a new language. Gweipo is going Mandarin because of interest, I did Japanese because of interest in their games, music and girls ^^; but alot of people doing a 3rd language out there are looking for better recruitment opportunities.

Think I shall start a new post on why I started learning Japanese...

Worldwide Visitors