Thursday, June 4, 2009

What's there for all of us?

While China was busy cutting internet access, Hongkongers were busy lighting up candles for June 4th. 20 years on, what can a few thousand candles do? Pretty much nothing. The younger generation of Chinese are not even bothered about what happened 20 years ago so why should HK bother so much? I'm convinced shots were fired, bodies were rolled over and many are still being kept under lock and chain somewhere in China. So what?

What does the world want China to do about June 4th? And so what if China complies? What will be different? Did the tanks deliberately run over the students or the driver just couldn't see the students? Did anyone see the soldiers shoot the students or it was a misfire by the students who tried to grab the rifle from the soldiers?

They will say that they were putting down a rebellion. Adequate warnings were given to the troublemakers they will say. What can anyone do to make them change their stance? I'd say no one person or one country in this world can tell them what to do. Hell, not even the U.N. can make them do anything against their will~ They can jolly well veto all resolutions in the U.N. instead!

The world is in a mess... my work life is in a mess as well. I'm surrounded by computer idiots. And those that come to me with the most idiotic problems/mysteries are usually those in senior positions~

1) Japanese manager comes to me with excel problem. Cells merged unequally. Want to sort worksheet. Tell him can't be done (unless with macro). Ask me to help. Aye, do I look like some I.T. trainer? Unmerged and sorted everything within 2 minutes and sent him on his way.

Same idiot spent next 5 minutes talking to my non-japanese-speaking I.T. Spec IN Japanese. I.T. Spec can't understand his request (Japanese idiot probably won't understand me if I speak to him in Hokkien!) and came to me. Idiot wants the cells to be merged back after sorting. Tell him I can't do it. Idiot came back with a quite sarcastic "That's the first time I hear you say that you can't do something".

Think he was proud of himself for finding out that I couldn't do something. I just couldn't be bothered to show him my macro for merging excel cells...

2) Local manager call my staff and remarked that the floppy disk drive on her laptop is spoilt. Who uses a 3.5" floppy these days?!?! Yes... they need it to submit information to the revenue authorities... Lousy thing kept asking on the phone why it was spoilt when it was fine a couple of days ago, did we do something to it blah blah blah...

20 accusing questions and 10 minutes later I walked over with my staff to have a look. Reached their department to find a laughing woman. Apparently she inserted the floppy into her desktop PC and tried to find it on her laptop... (-_-;) Crap don't even have the decency to called when she found out her own mistake...

Same woman who asked me to teach her how to access an FTP site on her laptop at least twice... for the same FTP site! And while teaching her, she managed to ask me 10 different questions with 9 of them without any relevance to what I was teaching her. Same women who pissed every single staff in my I.T. team because for any request she makes (and she makes more request per person compared to a sales office) she asks at least 10 irrelevant questions. Same woman who challenges every company policy with regards to computer usage.

If I have one wish now then it is for someone to take this woman away. As far as possible. Hopefully, somewhere without a telephone...

I'm just here to work and make a living. When I have nothing to do I just think of some new projects to make everyone's life better at work, or just surf the net quietly when I'm tired. Others find joy in creating work for others...

3 comments:

Reddie said...

ooh, I love this. Maybe you can compile them and write a book already.

hardly know, when i get IT help previously, used to be higher powder stuff... that i'd like to think :)

WhiteDuskRed said...

Yes... I think I should write a book with entries from my blog some day... a day for IT personnel to read at the end of a long day, have a laugh and lament their miserable life with IT idiots... lol~

Nomad said...

i wanted to laugh coz i used to face the same thing as u while doing end user support and managing the corporate helpdesk service...everytime the phone rings in our IT team, we use to suck in our breathe, answer the phone neutrally and then halfway thru roll our eyes, turn around face our colleague and mouth "IDIOT!!" to our peers while they snigger away... my support team used to grumble a million things why some users ask the stupidest questions, repeated redundant questions..

We use to say....
Whoever say no question is a stupid question ought to do IT end support for a day to stick their foot in their mouth...

ah...those days...thank god its WAY WAY behind me...

It people are the best "humourous" people. we get to laugh at other people, and at the same time and expense, laugh at our own miserable life....

Worldwide Visitors