Saturday, July 11, 2009

Shanghai Shanghai


3 days in Shanghai and my perception of the city and China as a whole has changed. Generally for the better. The staff there are more professional, more polite and more hardworking than those in HK, at least for my company. I don't even want to compare them with the staff in SZ. I really think that SZ staff are overpaid and underworked...




Reached Shanghai office after lunch, a bit of introduction here and there before meeting. Before we left for hotel check-in and dinner, met the Shanghai IT staff for the first time although she's called me numerous times over the years for advice and instructions. Diligient girl, probably do 3 times as much work as my staff in HK. Her boss told us that she is hardworking but have no desire to do more, none of that extra something special. Which means she will probably never be promoted to a supervisory/managerial level. First night was dinner with the local managers in a restaurant serving Ningbo fare. Pretty good food but raw crab was a bit too much for me... loved the foie gras done Chinese style.


Second day started with a trip to a warehouse in Shanghai's tax-free economic zone. Any area outside the meeting room was between 37degC to 40degC. The warehouse was just as hotcooking. Without any air-conditioning it was like a human oven. People were dripping sweat all over the place. I was dry, even in my shirt, tie and suit... I'm weird...

After that was a Japanese lunch before a trip to my company's warehouse in the vicinity. Air-con and everything was great. Surely you need the right temperature and humidity to store your electronic components! Had a short meeting before I went about giving suggestions, asking how things are done in Shanghai and help them solve a little system problem which HQ Logistics failed to solve for years. Took me 15 minutes to figure something they failed to solve for years... *sigh* And right there and then I got myself a new set of fans. *take a bow*

Back to office in Puxi (opposite of Pudong, one is west one is east) for a short wrap-up meeting with the Japanese GM before I spent some time with the local girl on understanding her work, how to make her life easier and listen to some of her problems. And then we were off to XinTianDi the GM and another Japanese sales manager.





I loved XinTianDi. I love the charm of the old buildings and I love the cleanliness of the place. I didn't like most of Shanghai with all the cars and tall buildings in close proximity of each other but I loved XTD. I will live there if they have a 2nd storey unit for rental (that is if I work in SH).


Dinner at Paulaner's. The waitress who served us spoke fluent English. Nothing like what one will get with local staff in SZ (or even HK) or I haven't been eating around enough. The food was great, beer was sweet and the company of the 2 Japanese staff was surprisingly enjoyable. Really amazing how a few drinks will remove that invisible mask.


After dinner the driver drove us around for a look of the city. Too many works for the Expo next year but I'm sure it will be a fanastic event when everything's ready.


Final day in Shanghai. Took this picture as our driver weaved the car through thousands and thousands of bicycles/tricycles/x-cycles to bring us to the office.




A final meeting in the morning and lunch in a pub nearby before we set off for the airport. The last photo above was a shot of the site for the Expo next year. Notice the pollution? The really big minus point for me. That smog was there throughout the 3 days we were there.

And just now I got to know a fellow blogger with a new site : Alex Hofford Photography. I think the section on China Air Pollution under Portfolio is very meaningful. If you're a Chinese or a Hongkonger then perhaps you would like to take a look and see what you can do for your home. I'm not going to stay here forever.

3 comments:

Alex Hofford said...

Hey there, thanks for the plug! Glad you liked my air pollution pix...

WhiteDuskRed said...

Hi Alex, not a problem at all. I've been looking for a photo which shows the pollution here in HK and your first photo in that section did just that~

alexhofford said...

It's diabolical most of the year, but we've had some glorious days in the last couple of months...

Worldwide Visitors