Wednesday, October 28, 2009

HK Dramas... real and reel~

The 2 weeknight dramas on TVB are pretty nice. Spent last night sitting in front of the sofa picking up shit and watching TVB. I prefer the show at 9:30pm with some pretty experienced actors and actresses. Emperors and eunuches are just not my cuppa tea...

But nothing beats the drama in HK. The media is digging up everything about the Chief Executive. If you still don't know who he is, go find a Duck in Disneyland... but I cannot blame anyone for not knowing him. Ain't done anything fantastic for HK in the international arena.

But he's done alot for HK. Done so much damage that he's been attacked left, right, centre and below the belt on internet forums and newspapers. From accusations of importing car(s) without paying tax/fees, getting Lehman-related payments for relatives, introducing some sort of vouchers for energy-saving bulbs which will in fact increase your electricity bill policy among many others... He's really gotten himself into a mess...

I'm plagiarizing something from one of the forums :
"亂加電費, 同強盜有何分別?
答: 一個犯法, 一個合法."

Anyway, freedom of speech and lots of reporting freedom, but how much accuracy? Not sure but there's nothing one can do about it here in HK. One important lesson in HK if you are a celebrity or a political figure is to stay out of the media's spotlight. But hey~ at least they are providing an interesting read for me on a daily basis~

And for today's read : Singapore's Press Freedom Ranking. Press freedom is one thing. Baseless accusations is another. Can Donald sue anyone for libel?

Back at work, major change in the organization. The top guy will be overseeing China offices personally. Will probably make life for people in this region tougher. Don't think he will come in and say things like "Hey you're underpaid! Let's raise it by a good 20%!". More likely to hear things like "Hey com'on China's our main market now! If you cannot support anything and everything being asked for by the sales and design team then off you go!"

Well... I'd like to support anything and everything. But I'm not getting the support from HQ. I'm relying on help from fellow strugglers especially my fellow I.T. manager in the States. He used to write to me on a monthly basis for assistance. Likewise I write back for advices. Recently he has been writing on a weekly basis... seems like the minimal support he's been receiving from HQ is there no more...

And I don't understand how it can take more than 3 months for any I.T. team to upgrade/rebuild their EDI server. When I heard that one of our partners needed 2 weeks to recover their EDI server I nearly went bombastic. Then I got news that the EDI server in my very own HQ is limping (which means no new EDI + no amendments + no whatsoever in the meantime). And it will be March before they can put it on another configuration... 5 months... 100+ working days... At least it is not dead...

Well... at least I have an answer why my 10+ development requests are being put on hold since July. Now I can answer my users as to why their requests are still not completed. Maybe its a good thing since my EDI staff will be having her maternity leave. Free me from taking over all the shit...

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors