Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Run Forrest Run!"

I spent Sunday at the Shatin race turf. I spent around HKD1500 at the Shatin race turf. Nearly half that amount covered food so I didn't really donate that much to the Jockey Club...

The diversity of the crowd was really amazing. While we were herded like cattles around the perimeter to enter the grounds, I asked M if entrance was free and a female passer-by started telling me it cost HKD10 and I can even use my Octopus card to get in. I thanked her ala-kungfu with my left hand over my right fist and a slight kowtow.

Since it was some SaSa Day we were each given a commemorative pin at the entrance. I wasn't too interested in that. As we made our way along the finishing stretch of the course, I realised that the place is really much larger than on television...

As we waited for the elevator a group of ladies made their way to the lift lobby as well. And boy did they use their expletives well to complete their sentences! Too fast too furious for me but I could see the embarrassed looks on M's face. Not sure if he was shy about hearing those things or just awkward because the foreigner (me) heard it. Like I wrote earlier, diversity of people...

Our reserved table was pretty well positioned and offered a good view of the whole racetrack. It would have been better if it was closer to the finishing line. Spent around HKD1150 for a party of 4, eating from 1pm to 4+pm, we had 3 set-meals + 4 tea sets and freeflow of beverages.

In one race I won nearly HKD1000 from HKD100. In fact, by the end of race 8 I was nearly even but I decided to be brave (and dumb at the same time) and throw 4/5 of my budgeted gambling monies into the fray for race 9. I lost. And we left before race 10 to avoid the crowd.

After a disappointing day at the races, there wasn't any better consolation than to take it out at the pins in the bowling alley~ 9 of 12 games above 200. I'm really hoping for X out of X the next time I go...

On the way home that night we managed to catch a burning car right in the middle of an expressway. I was quite worried that it would go off in an explosion as we drove past... browsing through yesterday's !Yahoo HK news, I'm glad that the driver was only slightly injured and not turned into Char Siew~

Slight drizzle, sharp turn + high speed = Lose control + a shorter bonnet

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors