Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Smokers and my throat...

Went Shenzhen on Monday. As usual, a drive to San Tin Interchange, parked the car and took the yellow bus to Huang Gang before changing to a taxi to office. The bad thing about such an arrangement is the yellow bus.

On the way back, we managed to get seats at the rear end of the bus. Then a few men came aboard. They probably just took 3-4 long puffs of their cigarettes before they boarded the bus in a hurry. So we were stuck in a warm and poorly ventilated bus with 3-4 stinking men surrounding us. Actually the attack came in 3 waves. 1) Their body odour 2) Their tobacco-heavy breath as they talked 3) The tobacco smell that seemed to come out of their body.

My nasal passage is pretty sensitive to cigarette particles, not exactly sure what components of the cigarette but I always keep a distance from 2nd hand smoke. So there I was, stuck in the bus, with my nose being attacked. So now here I am typing this with a sore throat that developed since that yellow bus trip on Monday.

Walking along Nathan Road yesterday, I couldn't help but notice that every few steps I took I would walk past a smoker either standing there puffing away or smoking while walking. The places I work in are really meant for animals... no... animals won't be subjected to this type of cruelty...

2 comments:

Aileen said...

From someone else who cannot tahan bad air, I used to bring a potted plant to work (when I worked) - ugly thing, it's a spider plant and I try to hide it somewhere - but believe it or not, it seems to cut down my bad air-related problems. Supposedly they're really good at cleaning the air and I have a few in my apt too...

"Just Me" said...

i know how u feel because i have an ultra sensitive nose too! Too much 2nd hand smoke (exhaust fumes too) gives me a severe headache since I was young.

And agree those heavy smoker really reeeks of smoke coming thru their pores! It's scary to think how contaminated they are with niccotine inside.

I use to wish i could walk ard with a portable oxygen mask since i was young...before they ban all the smoking indoors. Maybe u should consider getting a mask?

Worldwide Visitors