Thursday, August 5, 2010

The human race...

... and the ones working in my company. I've been working with them for the past 7-8 years. The longer I work with them the longer I realise that I despise them. A simple problem but they go round several times without realising what the actual problem was.

Had a chat with S yesterday and she remarked that the older generation of Japanese who came up with the Toyotas and Sonys weren't exactly intelligient people. But they made up for it with sheer determination and in the pursuit of perfection they either come up with the perfect product or jump out of the window. On the contrary, the present generation of Japanese. Young and full of themselves. But terribly lacking in management skills and a few cells up there, give up when they are gently pushed.

10 years ago I would have loved to stay in Japan and become a permanent resident. But after having stayed there for a couple of months, worked there, I think I will just visit when I have the time...

Some people love to think that they are culturally educated. They go into art galleries and stare at a painting for a long time. Or stare at some broken buildings. Is that culture? Or they just want to be seen as having culture? Curiosity brought me to Paris to see some of the greatest art in the world. A few mural paintings did leave me with my jaw gaping but I won't say I am crazy about art galleries... does that make me a less cultured person?

I have heard it so many times, disgraceful Singaporeans in and around outlet shops overseas going "cheap cheap cheap" like birds on a tree. Frankly speaking I don't even have to go near an outlet to hear the Japanese go "安い!", the Chinese go "好便宜!" or the Indians go "!@#%!@#@!#!". But why do I only read reports of Singaporeans all the time? Because they are the only ones who go cheap cheap in English?

But I don't blame them for saying something is cheap because it is indeed cheaper than in Singapore, no matter if they are in the outlet mall or just any departmental store. What's wrong? Because it sounds offensive? Its bad manner? Then is it better to call something cheap in mandarin? Will it sound better? It is a Singaporean culture. Its just that we use English/Singlish instead of Cantonese/Mandarin/Japanese/Korean. And sometimes it is just the way they express themselves. They already have a price on their mind and when they see something better priced the first word that will pop up in their mind will be "CHEAP!" Is it really cheap? Or its just cheaper than their pre-determined price threshold?

The Chinese are proud that they have cheaper labour than most places in the world. Frankly speaking if I am an employed Chinese, I won't mind visitors calling my salary cheap as long as they buy something and give me a job.

But I have to admit, there are many Singaporeans who behave poorly when overseas. Coming from a small country many have not seen much of the world. Especially if it is their first few trips overseas. Still... it's hard to beat some of the mainland Chinese visitors I've seen here in HK... Considering the speed, strength and agility at which they rush for that view/seat/freebies, its really a wonder why they don't do better in the rugby world...

5 comments:

Razlan said...

When I first moved to here, I was told to say that I am a Malaysian (I am, but I lived the majority of my adult life in Singapore) instead of being from Singapore. Apparently Singaporeans have less-than-stellar reputation in the city.

WhiteDuskRed said...

Hongkongers also have a very narrow perception of Singapore. They think that behind every tree is a policeman waiting to catch you if you litter, spit or chew gum. I guess not just HK but they treat SG as a very close competitor so the strong rivalry.

It really makes your life easier to be known as a Malaysian (which is true!) than a Singaporean because they will not be so aggressive when you try to say good things about Singapore (or bad things about HK).

All these speaking from experience! :)

Uncle Phil said...

Still... it's hard to beat some of the mainland Chinese visitors I've seen here in HK... Considering the speed, strength and agility at which they rush for that view/seat/freebies, its really a wonder why they don't do better in the rugby world...
my dear fella Overseas Singaporean, that is kiasuism one billion fold.
Cheers,
Phil

Nomad said...

I have agree with u, HK have a very very NARROW perception of Singaporeans and Sg as a whole. They think they are better than us in everyway. They always tell me Sg is boring, Sg is hot, Sg has funny English accent (as if HK accent is any better or comprehendable), Sg people cannot speak good English, Sg people cannot speak Good mandarin. So when they meet someone who breaks that mould, they rather think it is a one time off exception, rather than concede there are more than one type of people in Singapore.

Hk people doesnt have that stellar reputation as well. They can be rude, obnoxious, selfish, selfcentered, shallow, suerperficial. It's all about who one meet to form that impression. I think Sg are more "real" than HK as a nation, minus the fake Ang mo wannabes.

I was laughing my socks off at your statement of china people -Considering the speed, strength and agility, not to mention the single minded focus of beating everyone else to it. I cannot recount how many times I have been rudely and powerful shoved aside because the effing china bastard doesnt even know how to say "excuse me" in mandarin. That is the sort of people that Singaporeans have not developed into yet. They may say cheap cheap cheap and rush for it, but they dont shove and smack u in the face just to beat u to a single item. We at least have still some years of civil manners in us.

I think its not just the cheap cheap cheap that gets to me. It's the comparing of things that get to me. Dont bitch about the place u are visiting and make cross reference to sg in public within audible distances, keep it in your room. I think that is the rude part. Plus its more the behaviour of ugly sg than what they say that bugs me.

Still, no matter what, I am proud to call myself a Singaporean than pretend to be australian or Malaysian. Not to mention I hope to prove everyone else wrong that NOT all Singaporeans behave ungraciously.

If everyone of us who does behave properly or speak properly deny our own citizenship, then dont blame other nationalities for thinking that only rude and crass singaporeans exists since they havent seen any good "Sample". By pretending to be Malaysian, why should I "give credit" to my neighbour instead of my own country?

WhiteDuskRed said...

I won't start that SG-vs-HK argument again. Its fine if HK wants to be better than SG and thinks that they are better.

The best local English speaker in my office here in HK spent his primary/secondary school years in Singapore and went on to further his studies in Australia if I remember correctly...

I don't feel the need to hide my nationality. I'm proud of my nation. I've served 30 months of NS... handled a rifle... did some shitty stuff during NS...

Oh... and I don't go off spouting things about places I haven't been to~

Worldwide Visitors