Monday, August 30, 2010

I love messes!!!

Yesh... especially the ones created at work! The best type of messes will be the ones which are 1) by products of some stupid team/idiot's project [preferably not me], 2) will affect the most important people in our sales office [sales offices being sales offices the most important people will be the sales people], and 3) when my job puts me in a position to tackle the mess with relative freedom. And things are pretty good this time around because the servers and appliances I need are more or less in place. The final piece to the puzzle will be a good remote backup plan... Budget for this year end should focus on that... After reading Spike's post I'm even more determined to push through the budget for this final piece to the puzzle. Even if I leave this company I would still want to leave a good legacy... You cannot imagine the amount of bad mouthing my predecessor gets over the years...

Anyway, work has been boring most of the time and without these messes I really have no idea what to do apart from the daily routine stuff + my little side project of a warehouse simulator which is supposed to cut down the walking distances for store workers. When I first heard of this new messproject I was slightly worried as it would have made 2 of my staffs redundant. 2 weeks into the trial run and my worries are gone. Let's just say that the new system is really a cat trying to pose as a tiger. Won't be growing any stripes soon.

Come tomorrow we will know how this kitten fares when we reach another milestone in this trial period. A new set of data should be coming in tonight, and if the sample data I received last week were in the correct format, my database should import the information and generate a report for the sales department tomorrow morning... Considering the fact that this is a global initiative, it is really amazing how little instructions have been given from HQ. From what I have heard so far our contact in HQ is just as confused. I enjoy it but I really don't understand the mess since they have been using this system since 2007. I guess they've been too busy fighting fires for the past 3 years to try and figure out how work is being done overseas. Its amazing how they can mess up massive projects again and again...

An approval process which takes 2 days from creation to completion would have taken approximately 10 days in Japan using this system. Now which part of this is an improvement? I nearly laughed out loud during a meeting today when I read the 1st reason why they introduced this system...

Speed... Ha!

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors