Friday, June 10, 2011

10 days into June and still no job offers~

3 weeks since my last post and I've only gone for 2 interviews. The chances of me getting anything from either of them is very slim considering 1) My expected salary and 2) My lack of experiences in Singapore over the past few years. But I'm still pretty optimistic about the job market in Singapore because everyday I see plenty of listings on various job portals.

The real issue bugging me is what I really want to do and what I see myself doing years down the road. I see tonnes of Project Management jobs and IT Executive jobs. To me it is not so much a matter of going lower than my previous position or paying less than my previous job. It's more of a job satisfaction and self-satisfaction thing.

Do I climb the corporate ladder once more, hoping to achieve wealth and position years down the road? 20 years down the road I can tell my kid that I used to manage tens of people, running projects worth millions but I was just another hamster in the cage.

If not, should I try out as a lecturer teaching in one of the polytechnics or ITEs? I've always wanted to teach and make a difference in people's lives. Is it for me? I won't know until I try, right? Stable job but no real progression I reckon...

Or should I try to strike it out, start my own bowling academy or IT business, and hopefully churn out future world champions or come out with some breakthrough technology or useful applications? And if so, I must ask myself the most important question... Am I up to it?

As I ponder over these questions I continue to send out resumes with unrealistic remuneration expectations. I guess somewhere in my resume the potential employers or headhunters already know that I'm a messed-up jobseeker...

4 comments:

Gweipo said...

Have a look at Betty's blog - she had a great posting here about job searching.
It's not about meeting headhunters or HR folk, its about putting yourself in the situation where you'll find someone who says something that sparks you...

http://bettymingliu.com/2011/06/8-job-search-tips-from-your-media-mommy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BettyMingLiu+%28Betty%27s+Blog%29

WhiteDuskRed said...

Hi gweipo,

Thanks for the link~ I sure need a spark, and the guts to try something really out of my league~

Joyce Lau said...

Don't feel bad, WhiteDuskRed. 3 weeks is not very long if you're looking for a really good job.

WhiteDuskRed said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Joycey~

I may start my own business venture if this whole job search doesnt hold up~

Worldwide Visitors