Tuesday, August 16, 2011

We are all struggling...

The first thing I did when I heard that the govt will raise the salary cap for couples to buy HDB flats was to send an SMS to my NS buddy. Its a real catastrophe when you've been earning slightly above S$8,000. That means you are not eligible for an HDB flat while the Executive condos or private properties will probably require another 4-5 years' savings just to pay for the downpayment. Now that it's been revised I hope they can find one near their dream location soon.

During the election a number of uncles and aunties spoke to the media about the rising property prices and how they fear for their children's future. Here you are~ 25k flats to be built this year. Another 25k flats to be built next. Sounds something like Tung Chee Hwa's plans... Expecting property prices to fall. Don't think I will be affected but those who bought in June-July are probably squeezing their balls this very moment.

Then I have friends who can't have, or decide not to have kids. Health issue, bad luck, all sorts of issues. People who love children can't have kids. People who probably can have children won't have it. It is such a sensitive topic that its not okay to bring up no matter the situation.

I don't have those problems. Housing is secured in a neighbourhood I like. I have a fantastic little boy who's been showered with plenty of affection by us, the grandparents, and even my sister's family who is like here 2-3 nights a week. I still have a little issue with my job situation which is half-settled. I got myself a probation stint with a tech incubator. Not sure how it will work out but a job is a job, and I'll be looking out just in case this doesn't work out.

Work, relationships, housing, money, children... are we really struggling because we are in SG? I see my friends in HK and they are struggling as well. Somehow the technological and economical progress made us poorer...

2 comments:

Gweipo said...

is adoption a possibility here?

WhiteDuskRed said...

Adoption is definite a possibility for one couple that I know. They are probably thinking of resettling down in SG before their next move.

For some others its a lifestyle option or serious health issue that deters them from making bigger choices...

Worldwide Visitors