Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What-if?

We make decisions based on the best available information we have on hand and our mental/physical conditions at the point of time. But if circumstances takes a dramatic change then all bets are off. Update on my job: 1) I've more or less been selected and now awaiting approval from higher-ups. Heard from the headhunter there's room for negotiation with regards to the remuneration package. 2) A 2nd round of interview scheduled for this Thursday morning with the Operations Director after one with the CIO. Not sure if I've already been selected or all 3 shortlisted candidates will be called for the interview.

It's going to be easy if I get confirmed for 1 job and not selected for the other. A nice dilemma if I get selected for both. But then I will have to make a really difficult decision. I surely don't want to look back at this moment in time 5 months down the road and think to myself "what if" I had chosen this, done that and/or tried negotiating for a higher pay. On hindsight many things look so easy and straightforward but more often than not we look only at a particular event and don't link up the consequences of a particular action.

If the missus never moved to HK, would we have gotten married? If I was pursuing an MBA at HKUST, would we have had Baby J? If I had returned to Singapore for my NTU MBA, could we have afforded the 2nd apartment unit? It's probably a NO to all of those questions but sometimes we yearn for something different and look at our past choices with a tinge of regret. Having written all of that, I must admit that sometimes its important for us to look back at our past decisions, learn from there, and be thankful for being where we are.

Right now I'm thankful that I get so spend a good 6 months with my boy. It's something I will have with me for the rest of my life. It could have easily been so different...

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors