Friday, March 9, 2012

3 months in a nutshell

So much happened within these 3 months yet I have little recollection of any major events...

The relocation of the company in December went quite smoothly. Considering the fact that I only had like 2 months from the date I stepped into the company to the actual move itself, I have no complaints. The whole M&A is still a bitch. Clashing cultures and office politics really eat into the morale of the team. Me myself has been kicked around until a stage where I don't even know my job responsibilities anymore. Taking a day at a time until the actual organization structure gets revealed...

Family life has been great~ My boy is officially a little terror, running, climbing, and making all sorts of funny expressions and noises. A real joy to have him in the family. Will I pamper him, spoil him and turn him into a brat? I guess I might so I'm really glad my wife is around because she has no qualms about slapping his hand whenever he crosses the line. The most I can do is slap his butt about until his diaper squirm. 

Started taking up golf lessons recently. Really enjoying my golf now. Advice to anyone taking up a new sport/hobby/language - Always look for a coach/instructor. Don't wait and let your fundamentals get so screwed up before you change. My target will be to hit between 90-100 for my golf game.

Just finished my 3rd session of league bowling (missed 1 session). It's been 2 years since my last league. The last was in Mei Foo Hong Kong, which I had to give up after 1 season due to the load of my postgrad coursework as well as a pregnant wife. This time we formed a team with family members as well as my secondary schoolmates family. After the 1st 2 weeks we were bottom of the league but we are steadily picking up the averages and moving up. Moved up 2 spots last week, should be at least another 2-3 spots after last night. My averages were session 1)156, 2)174 and 3)205. My improvement was really helped by 2 things. More practice before the league as well as a new ball. Got a 15lb Reign of Fire from Storm which worked gloriously on the lanes last night~ But I missed a few spares here and there which really spoiled my scores...

The biggest event that occurred over the past few months must be the 1) the death of an ex-postgrad classmate and 2) the kidney transplant of an ex-poly classmate to his wife. The death of the classmate really shock me for a week or 2. One moment he was updating his Facebook status about how tough the project he was working on. Next day his sister was updating his FB page that he had died in his sleep. Early thirties... died in his sleep... Hidden illness or brought upon by work? Still no verdict from his autopsy. I guess it must be a bit of both. 

As for my friend who donated his kidney to his wife, he is probably still under GA at this point of time. She is lucky to have found such a loving, caring, generous, courageous man who had the right body parts. He is lucky to find someone who he loves so much that he wants to be a part of. I pray that the 2 of them will get well soon and will not have to go through the same ordeal for the next 30 years...

4 comments:

colin said...

Hey, I started golf lessons too! Up at Asian Golf Academy (groupon code!). Man I haven't blogged since September....:(

WhiteDusk said...

Interesting enough I'm also having my lessons at AGA (Keppel Club). Who's coaching you? I'm learning under Greg~

Colin said...

I actually don't even know his name....:( I've missed two lessons due to one thing or another...Wednesdays at 7pm. I'll make it this week!

WhiteDusk said...

I've been doing the weekend sessions but recently due to work I have to find other timeslots~

Worldwide Visitors