Monday, April 9, 2012

A big fat portfolio vs. A big fat paycheque

My position at work is still pretty much in limbo but the good news is the fact that all these should come to a conclusion soon enough.

My GM called me up this afternoon. Not sure what he wanted but he hesitated about talking to me in his office and told me he would look for me in my office instead (we're on different floors now). The tone of his voice was serious enough with no hint of joking whatsoever. Does that mean I have lost the war? Are they going to just let me go?

Actually I'm not that worried about losing this job although we do run a heavy expenditure every month. 3 seniors, 2 teens, 1 baby, 2 dogs, 2 cars and 2 apartments. The stress is there but any decent replacement job out there should be fine for our finances.

Its not so much the paycheque but the way that things are playing out. I've put in alot of effort and time, yet that may not be enough. I guess at the end of the day its the company's loss if they choose to let me go. I'm not arrogant or what, but the only person who is targeted for redundancy is not really someone who can do anything. He may talk well but then again so many people can talk~

When I went for this present job I was looking for a small portfolio and a decent paycheque. With a new son I didn't want to fly around anymore. Then they gave me a much larger portfolio with a not so large increment. I made noise. They rethink about it. Redundancy found. Guess what? I've been doing the guy's job for the past 6 months!

In a way I'm looking forward to how this pans out. If they want to let me go I want to see if I will be able to nab one of a few senior IT management jobs out there which requires Japanese speakers, yet are not Japanese companies.

If I am going to manage a large portfolio I might as well aim for a job that pays me correct, right? I know there's no such thing as a small portfolio and a big paycheque but people should realise that its not fair to have a big portfolio with a small paycheque~

No comments:

Worldwide Visitors