Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hokkaido 2014 Part 1 - Hakodate!

To celebrate the end of my tenure in my last job ( or the start of my job search ), my wife and I took a week-long trip to Hokkaido. The trip lasted longer due to the once-in-45-year snow storm which hit Tokyo but I thought that just made the trip even more special.

We took the ANA night flight to Haneda on the 2nd day of Lunar New Year, had 3-4 hours in transit before we flew to Hakodate. From Hakodate airport it was a 15-minute bus ride to our hotel at Yunokawa Onsen area. We had a sea-facing room with a private outdoor bath at the Prince Nagisatei. It was one of the highlights of our trip. I had 5 dips in that bath during our 2 nights stay there. It was really something jumping into the hot bath in -4 deg weather and sea winds blowing in your direction. I had never enter any hot bath faster in my life! Our stays come with breakfast and dinner, and I must say that I look forward to every meal there~~ It came up to S$250/person/night but I think it was worth every cent. Such an experience do not come every year.


We spent the 1st day resting so the real adventure in Hakodate was on the 2nd day. We took the local tram to the morning fish market and had scallops, oyster and beer before noon! Then after more walking we had some freshly opened sea urchin, some BBQ crab legs and also a slice of melon.... I guess that was lunch!






Walked a bit more about the harbour area, taking in the sights and more food (SNAFFLES!!!) before we head up to Hakodate Hill for the famous night view of the city. We went up early and had something to eat while enjoying the scene as it turned from day into night. One of the top 3 night view along with HK and Napoli? I will rate them once I've visited Napoli...



Posts from this trip:

No comments: